My roommate will tell you how excited I’ve been about this night… I’ve been talking about it for WEEKS. Since taking a bite of a galbi kogi taco.. i thought what a fun way to celebrate summer! The best part was, it was easy (when you have a sister who’ll generously do all the prep work while you moan, lying half conscious on the sofa–i’ve been sick.. thanks ALICE!) Btw, I realize how hard it is to make tacos look appetizing through a lens.
the Korean taco spread:
Galbi (marinated short ribs), dak gui (spicy marinated chicken), ginger cabbage slaw, kimchi, pickled radish, cilantro, onions, salsa verde, pico de gallo, corn tortillas, lime wedges, and good drinks. I made this watermelon and strawberry agua fresca (correction, Alice made it). Enjoy! Celebrate the heat with this fusion of Asian and Mexican flavors (no grill necessary).
I bought 1.5 lb each of the galbi and dak gui at the Korean market as well as the pickled radish.
Recipes for the made stuff:
1. Roast the garlic, tomatillos, jalapeno in the broiler for about 15 mins or until bruised and the garlic is nicely toasted. Let it cool.
2. Put the roasted ingredients and cilantro, salt, onions, and lime in the blender or food processor. Pulse a few times and serve.
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 mint sprigs, plus more for garnish
One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
Pinch of salt
2 cups seedless watermelon cubes
2 cups hulled strawberries
Ice and chilled sparkling water, for serving
- In a small saucepan, combine the water with the sugar. Simmer over moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the 2 mint sprigs, ginger and salt and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain the syrup into a blender. Add the watermelon and strawberries and puree until smooth.
- Fill 8 glasses with ice. Pour the agua fresca into the glasses and top off with sparkling water. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.
6 cups of cabbage, shredded. (about 1/2 a head of a good sized cabbage)
1/4 cup of red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup of scallions chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
Pepper to taste
Whisk ingredients of dressing all together. Place the cabbage, onions and scallions in a bowl. 15 minutes before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss.